
Though the trip was wonderful overall, it was definitely emotional as well. Within about ten minutes of getting to the village where I used to live, I was called to the home of a friend who was sick. I found Malado lying weakly on the floor of her mud hut, her body reduced to a skeleton. Her family didn’t know what was wrong with her but handed me a note from the hospital. The note simply stated that Malado was HIV positive; seeing her, it was clear that she was in the final stages of full blown AIDS. With treatment (provided for free in Mali), Malado might have been able to return to health; but by the time I arrived, she was too sick and weak to make the half-day journey by bachée (a rickety minivan with the seats replaced by planks to fit as many people as possible) to the hospital. For the next four days, all I could do was visit her and bring her food in the hopes that with better nutrition, she might regain enough strength to be able to make the trip. Saying good bye to her the day that I left to catch my flight in Bamako, I had to fight to hold back my tears. I wanted to cry not just for myself for losing a friend but for Malado’s two young daughters who had been a daily staple at my house for the two years I spent in Senossa and for the unfairness of Malado’s entire life and all the factors that contributed to her fate (poverty, a bad marriage, lack of education, poor access to health care).
This said, I do not want to give the impression that Mali is a relentlessly depressing place. Though the country is mired in poverty, the spirit and generosity of Malians are amazing. This is why I enjoyed living there so much and was so happy to go back.
Ariel,
ReplyDeleteMy eyes are full of tears reading of Malado's illness. What will happen to her daughters? Is there anything we can do to help?
God bless her and you Ariel,
Catherine
Thank you for your kind thoughts, Catherine. Unfortunately, there is little that we can do right now, but I will let you know if there is anything to be done down the road.
ReplyDeleteI just saw your response. I hope you are doing well. We think of you often Ariel.
ReplyDeleteCatherine and family
That’s looks so nice your posting.
ReplyDeleteEverything looks good in your posting.
That will be necessary for all. Thanks for your posting.
Bathmate