Photo: Standing on the beach in Monrovia. After ten days in Mali, I flew to Monrovia, the capital of Liberia. Since I arrived at night, I went straight from the airport to my hotel room to settle in. When I got to my room, I found the following: a fridge, stove, sink, hot water shower, tv, air conditioner, and wi-fi access. For someone who is used to Peace Corps-style living, this was like walking into a palace.
The next day, I got my first peak of Monrovia on my way to the office. It is a bustling city, full of people selling anything and everything. Particularly interesting have been the street food options. Pigs feet are incredibly popular, along with slices of Spam on toothpicks. There are also tastier treats, such as bananas, fresh grilled fish, and meat pies (like empanadas). Sadly, I seem to have just missed pineapple and mango season, but this gives me something to look forward to next year.
Surprisingly, the temperature here in Monrovia has been pretty cool. We are in the rainy season right now, so the days are usually pretty overcast. While this has made walking around the city a lot more pleasant than it was in the Malian heat, the downside is that it doesn't make for good beach weather. Since Monrovia is on the coast, there are several nice beaches around, and I am excited to go swimming when the days get warmer. Granted, by "swimming," I mean "wading" because the waves are pretty gigantic. And after my near drowning in Ghana (well, I wasn't really that close to drowning, but it was scary nonetheless), I have learned to stay where it is shallow.
Ariel - This is fantastic! I will follow your blog like a shadow. The entry about young Awah Wanner is hilarious and such an honor for you. I am so sorry to hear about the health tragedy with your friend - that must have been a terrible shock to see. Will it be hard to apply/interview for med schools while you're there? I'm sure with all this experience you are going to be a shoo-in! Oh, and by the way, Spam is also popular in some traditional dishes in Korea. Funny, huh?? They call it "Army Stew" as I guess it was the Army they have to thank for bringing the delicacy over. Love, TK
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear Princeton in Africa living is palatial!
ReplyDeleteSeeing the familar word Tokera brought back many fond memories from my time in Mauritania. And the pic with the plastic matt or natte in Mauritania was also a welcome familiarity. I could almost smell the maaro e liddi (cheb):)
ReplyDeleteCongrats to you for going back. I hope to one day follow in your footsteps to visit my own host family!
Love you! Can't wait to see you when you get back. AND PS IM PREGGARS!!!
ReplyDeleteNice and interesting blog, kindly view my travel blog www.travelvoinjama.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteThanks
Ariel, I am heading for Liberia for a 4 month stay beginning in November working with women and building a clinic. What is the name of the hotel where you stayed that had such nice accommodations? And, would you know if they would have low rates for someone who may wish to stay for 6 months? Thanks lots. Dr. Sophia of Peace of the World International.
ReplyDelete